Saturday, September 24, 2011

Day 592: When in DC...

I absolutely have to go to Cowgirl Creamery -- the only East Coast outpost of one of my favorite California creameries. Known for their fresh cheeses and bloomy rind triple creams, Cowgirl also offers a variety of local, national, and international cheeses.

On my visit there today I discovered a new cheese for me-

River's Edge Mayor of Nye Beach. It is a washed rind goat's milk cheese from Oregon. Washed in Rogue Dead Guy Ale, this cheese does not have that classic washed rind feel, smoother and nuttier on the exterior with a delightfully bright semi-firm interior paste. A rustic earthy goat's milk cheese that delights on the tongue. This is the sort of cheese that would be great to have with a group of friends and some medium bodied white wine or even a beer.

Visits to Cowgirl always allow for me to discover something new. So if you're in DC and haven't ever been, go check it out, just not on a Sunday as they are closed...

Cowgirl Creamery
919 F Street NW
Washington DC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive