Thursday, April 28, 2011

Day 443: How to Save / How to Splurge Dispatch # 12

So today I walked over to the Upper East Side supermarket, Grace's Marketplace, aiming to find a cheese to splurge on, had to be over $30, maybe I would find something I knew was cheaper in other shops and then I could write about the difference in cheese pricing depending on zipcode for example or maybe I'd find a completely new cheese that was specific to Grace's that I could write about. Guess what?
I didn't find a single cheese at Grace's for over $26.99 a pound, granted they did have a great selection of cheeses but nothing that fit the bill this week so I thought maybe I'll go to Butterfield's Market on Lexington and 77th, maybe they would have some pricey / splurge worthy cheeses and again I was disappointed, their cheese selection was mediocre at best and there were certainly no cheeses to write about.

Returning to Grace's for a moment, after I was disappointed that they didn't have any $30+ cheeses at the cheese counter, I went to go look at the refrigerated section and my mouth just dropped! Why?

Because they had Pico (a French soft ripened goat cheese) for $4.99 where as at Murray's it's $9.99 and at Fairway $8.99 and a whole wheel of Kunik (a New York state triple cream mixed goat and cow's milk cheese) for $11.99 where as at Murray's it's $17.99. Who knew that nestled on the Upper East Side you could find such deals on cheeses that I love so!? If you haven't had either or both, I recommend them and now you know you can get them more reasonably priced at Grace's.

I set out to make today's post about pricey cheeses in a pricey neighborhood and guess what I discovered, Grace's is the place to go for Pico and Kunik. Sometimes one finds deals in the most unusual of places. So folks today's post surely changed focus but boy was it a delight for me to discover.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive