Sunday, March 6, 2011

Day Three Hundred Ninety - A spotlight on Krummenswiler

Friday afternoon I stopped into Murray's Cheese at Grand Central to pick up some cheese for a girls night in and being the curious person I am, I had to investigate and see if there were any cheeses I hadn't had that I needed to try!

Yes there were a few and I ended up getting a bit of one -- Krummenswiler, a Swiss raw cow's milk cheese aged for at least six months. There is something about that aged nutty buttery butterscotchy je ne sais quoi of aged Swiss style cheeses in colder months, I don't know what it is but they click for me. Maybe its that they are fuller in body and have a nice depth to them, I'm simply not sure. But mountain cheeses sure are the cat's meow during the winter time months. This was not your typical Swiss style cheese, it is a unique interpretation of a classic Swiss Tilsiter style cheese but all of those faint flavors are dialed up a notch here, its more flavor forward and in your face for all the right reasons -- faintly meaty, round in mouthfeel, supremely nutty, with a nice burnt sugar / butterscotch finish, perfect with a glass of Gruner Veltliner and a great way to celebrate the end of winter with such a fabulous rich, heavy and totally fantastic cheese!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive