Thursday, January 20, 2011

Day Three Hundred and Forty Five - Spotlight on Julianna

This evening, I ventured into the little gem of a cheese shop in Chelsea Market, Lucy's Whey. Lucy's Whey has two locations, one here in Manhattan and one out in East Hampton. Specializing in American artisanal cheeses, this is a me sort of place.

What was I looking for?

I was looking for a cheese to bring out to my grandmother this Saturday to accompany the fabulous salad I was planning on making. I knew I needed to get a goat's milk cheese but preferably not too young, maybe something with a bloomy rind? Or maybe something infused with vegetable ash? Definitely nothing too hard, so here's what I found...

Julianna!

A raw goat's milk natural rind cheese rubbed in herbes de provence aged for between four and eight months. This was the perfect mixture of herbaceous-ness, firmness, softness, grassy-ness, bright citrus tang and all around deliciousness. It was the perfect goat-y sort of cheese for my grandmother's liking with a nice interesting twist -- marrying the softer aged bloomy rind goat's milk cheeses and the firm goat milk tomme style cheeses.

Hailing from Capriole Goat Cheese Creamery in Indiana this is a unique and different take on a goat cheese, a fabulous one at that!

Image courtesy of www.capriolegoatcheese.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive