Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Day Three Hundred and Two - A beginning dose of holiday season cheer

Today was the first day that I really started to feel that holiday season energy -- gift giving, party going, tree decorating, menorah lighting, carolling, baking, and all around seasonal cheer! I love the holiday season, I think it is such a joyful time of year and why not start celebrating that joy now!

I'm not the biggest fan of sweets but I've always had a special place in my heart for gingerbread cookies and gingerbread houses. I remember when I was young, my school had a fabulous gingerbread house each holiday season. So I thought why not provide you all with my favorite recipe for gingerbread cookies and an idea for a cheese pairing with it for today?

Gingerbread Cookies:

2 cups pastry flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 full egg
Pinch of sea salt
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Dark Molasses
1/2 stick of Plugra European Style Butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground up cloves
1 teaspoon powdered ginger
2 teaspoons diced up crystallized ginger

Combine all the wet ingredients into one bowl and dry ingredients into another bowl, whisk each separately till each are combined fully. Now cover with some wax paper and chill in the fridge for at least three hours. The longer you chill the cookies, the easier time you will have cutting out shapes. Preheat oven to 350 dgerees. Roll out chilled dough on a flour coated surface and go to town cutting out your gingerbread men and women and whatever sort of shapes you want. Spray some Pam baking spray on a cookie sheet and place these guys in the oven for eight to twelve minutes or until they are golden brown. I guarantee they will be spicy and flavorful but not too too sweet.

So what sort of cheese would I pair with these cookies?

Westfield Capri - Hailing from Hubbardston, Massachusetts, this is a classically fantastic young pasteurized goat's milk cheese. Quintessentially fresh, full of citrusy, tangy, grassy, and milky lactic notes, it will be the perfect partner for a nice warm homemade gingerbread cookie.



What to drink?

How about a glass of mulled wine?

Enjoy folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive