Saturday, September 11, 2010

Day Two Hundred and Fourteen : Sometimes a little Simplicity goes a long way...

I'm one of those people that loves starting their day with a cup of coffee and a nice plate of scrambled egg whites, high in protein and light! I tend to get into a groove with what I put in my eggs, not liking to eat them plain but liking to jazz them up a bit, whether its with veggies, herbs, and/or cheese. I even change up what I put them on -- sometimes it will be a whole wheat pita, a piece of multigrain bread, a crumpet; you name it, I like to have a little carbs in the morning after a long run, it refuels the body.

I've been a very simple groove as of late but boy is it fantastic -- clean, and delish, not overwhelming when it comes to flavor, but each ingredient sings and is given its own voice. I like a lot of flavor in my cooking typically; utilizing plenty of aromatics and ingredients as you all know but here, that's not the case.

Simple fluffy egg whites with some freshly grated Parmesan, fresh basil, black pepper, crushed red pepper and sea salt was pretty spectacular this morning. It was an ode to the caramel nuttiness of the Parmesan and the herbaceousness of the basil with the kick of the crushed red and black peppers. Excitement for the tongue but comfort for the tummy.

Sometimes it is nice to go the jazzed up, exciting route with plenty of veggies, unusual cheeses, and my beloved aromatics; but there are other times that stripping down to the basics just brings a smile to one's face.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive