Sunday, October 6, 2013

Day 1051 : Hype

You know when everyone tells you have to try that new restaurant, see that fantastic movie, check out that awesome show and so on? Then you go and the talk is better than the experience?

I had one of those moments this morning at Good Enough to Eat. Classic Upper West brunch place. Been around since 1981, always a line out front. Supposed to be amazing. But was it?

No, in one word. It was good, but not great and definitely not worth the hype. Their brunch cocktail list was surely one of the most extensive and it always excites me when a brunch place has my absolute favorite brunch cocktail on the list -- bubbles, Aperol, and grapefruit juice. Check in that department. And what of the food?

I ordered their Little Italy omelette but with a few amendments. Supposed to be -- roasted mushrooms, sundried tomatoes and fresh mozzarella; I had egg whites with the same filling except instead of mozzarella, gruyere cheese. It was served with their homemade biscuits and strawberry jam -- no salad, homefries, fruit or anything of the sort. The omelette was loose -- allowing you to taste all of the ingredients which was nice. Not too much cheese, good mushrooms and sundried tomatoes as well. A solid meal, but it didn't blow me away. Sure I would go back and enjoy it often but maybe I didn't order the right dish to merit the hype. If I had walked in without the hype, who knows, I would have probably said, that was a lovely neighborhood brunch place worth coming back to. Interesting to see what hype does right?

Hype fuels fads but doesn't necessary make places and experiences better. Sometimes it is nice to go into an experience blissfully unaware and be surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive