Sunday, November 20, 2011

Day 649 : A little break from cheese for the day...

To talk about one of my other passions that truly makes me who I am -- running -- and not just running as in jogging but distance running.  Running to me is motivation and meditation all rolled into one. I love getting up on a cold winter morning and running through a snow covered Central Park; I love having the goal of races, be it half or full marathons, love the training and ultimately love race day. To me there is no better sense of complete physical, mental, and emotional accomplishment.

Today's race -- the Philadelphia marathon -- was a fun, fast, and primarily flat course. It was one of the most friendly races I have ever run -- runners were chattering away to one another -- the boys from Costa Rica talking to the ladies from California -- each and everyone was bonding over their shared love of running and their participation in the 2011 Philadelphia marathon.

It got me thinking about how far we push ourselves in day to day life -- do you challenge yourself often? Do you succeed and prove to yourself how strong you really are? Or do you simply go through life making goals and achieving them but perhaps not pushing yourself as hard as you can? For me running is about smashing through those boundaries -- it challenges me to push myself harder in each and every other endeavor I pursue in my life.

I'd like to leave you all with a quote from Wilma Rudolph, the first American woman to win three gold medals at a single Olympics : "Never underestimate the power of dreams and the influence of the human spirit. We are all the same in this notion: The potential for greatness lives within each of us."

So go out in search of your own personal greatness and tomorrow Fromagical's cheese greatness will return. Thank you for indulging me in a break from cheese for a running philosophical moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive