Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Day Three Hundred and Ninety Three - Dinners on the Road...

Travel a lot for business? Often enough that you know what you like if its just you fending for yourself for dinner and not having to go out with work colleagues? Are you the sort of person who loves getting into that hotel bathrobe and running a bath and ordering room service? Maybe you're the sort of person who loves hitting the ground running discovering the newest hottest places that exemplify wherever you are for work purposes. Or maybe you're neither or something in between or maybe it depends on your level of motivation....

I know that when I travel, if I'm arriving at night and don't feel like being bothered with discovering a restaurant I'll be satisfied with, I'll opt for going to a Whole Foods -- I know I'll be happy -- I can get fresh greens, tofu, cheeses, veggies and more from the prepared salad bar or prepared foods and other offerings, and I won't really have to do anything with them when I check into my hotel room. I find that Whole Foods differ depending on what city you are in and even for example in New York which location you are in -- at Columbus Circle, you can get homemade flat bread pizzas and fresh sushi which surely isn't found to the same degree at the Chelsea locale whereas on the Bowery, they have a gelato and sorbetto bar. Off of the topic of New York Whole Foods and on to the topic of the Ann Arbor Whole Foods where I got my dinner this evening. I was actually completely shocked that not a single prepared salad had cheese in it, there were simple veggie offerings, a raw kale salad which I know and love, some tuna salads and chickens and tofus, but nothing with cheese or noodles. Yes there was crumbled feta, Parmesans, and cheddar on the side, but why no prepared salad opportunities with cheese? If I were to come up with a simple prepared pasta salad with cheese, I think I'd do a penne with roasted cauliflower, herbs, and Gruyere, maybe some Parmesan and red pepper flakes to boot...but why was it that this Whole Foods decided against any salads combining cheese? Maybe if I go back tomorrow, they will have different salads, some with and some without cheese....at least for tonight, I felt let down that the organic healthy gurus behind the Whole Foods name didn't think to include cheese in any of their prepared salads. Cheese in small quantities is a good source of calcium and protein. But fret not, I went and bought a bit of crumbled fresh chevre to combine with my raw kale, quinoa, lentil and tofu mixture and boy was it just what I needed after a long day and a bumpy airplane flight.

For now folks, have a great night from Ann Arbor Michigan!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive