Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Day Two Sixty Seven - Fast, Easy, Fresh Meals for One...

You know those weeks where you say to yourself, gosh I just can't get sick because of one reason or another? Well that happened to me this week, I guess this drastic temperature change caught up with me; definitely not ideal since I'm running the NYC marathon on Sunday. Running 26.2 miles feeling less than excellent is not my plan and therefore for the second evening in a row, I've canceled my plans and will go home to make myself a home cooked meal and crawl into bed with my dog before 8pm so I can maximize on sleep and minimize on the length of this bug.

As many of you know from reading my previous musings, scrambled egg whites are a favorite comfort food of mine and therefore they will be featured in today's recipe...so I decided to do my own take on Green Eggs obviously minus the Ham...

What's going to make these eggs green?

My Kale Scramble!

Why Kale?

It is one of the healthiest veggies around, packed full of health benefits, truly important when one is feeling somewhat sub-par. Although its health benefits have previously been discussed, why not revisit them, in case you don't remember:

It's high in:

Vitamin A
Vitamin C
Vitamin K
Dietary Fiber
Manganese
Calcium
Potassium
Iron
Vitamin B6
Tryptophan
and a bunch of other vitamins and minerals.

Apart from being good for you, I think it tastes delish when prepared in the manner in which I am going to suggest -- satisfying, filling, delish, and savory yet sweet. For me, it's perfect when paired with a simple egg white omelette.

Shall I give my omelette recipe first since it goes below your Kale Scramble?

Here goes:

3 egg whites
Fresh Rosemary
Crushed Red Pepper
Black Pepper
Crumbled Chevre with Honey (Found at Trader Joe's or as Cana de Cabra infused with Honey at Fairway)

Place some cooking spray or olive oil into a pan, let it heat up. Then place your already whipped egg whites into the pan. Top with rosemary, black and red pepper, and salt and cook over low heat. Just as you see the sides rolling up, crumble some chevre with honey over the top. Cook for another three to four minutes and pull off. Why chevre with honey you might be wondering? Well that's because of the healing benefits of honey, of course :)

And now onto the Kale Scramble:

1/2 bunch of kale
1/4 cup of golden raisins
1/4 cup of roasted slivered almonds
1/3 diced up shallot
A few dollops of Fresh Ricotta Cheese
EVOO
Himalayan Sea Salt
Crushed Red Pepper Flakes

Throw the shallot into a large saute pan with some Evoo first and let the shallot cook for about four minutes over low heat. Chop up kale into smaller pieces rather than full leaves. Place this in the pan, with the almonds and raisin and some Himalayan Sea Salt. Cover and cook over low to medium heat to let all of the flavors meld together. The raisins will sweeten the inherent bitterness of the kale and the almonds will provide a fantastic crunch. About one minute before you think the kale is done, pull the cover off the pan and place a few dollops of ricotta on the kale and sprinkle some crushed red pepper flakes over the top, good to cleanse those sinuses. Pull off your kale scramble and place it on top of your simple egg white omelette and enjoy with a nice cup of tea.

1 comment:

  1. what would you replace kale with .I don't think I can find that here in Israel?

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive