Friday, November 26, 2010

Day Two Eighty Nine - A Preview of Thanksgiving Cheeses

Happy Thanksgiving to one and all! I hope each and everyone of you have a wonderful time today with your friends and family. I am thankful to all of you who take the time to read my daily cheese musings and hope they bring as much joy to you as they do to me.

Keeping things brief here, I thought I would provide you with a special preview of the three local cheeses I've planned for tonight's Goat's milk Thanksgiving cheese plate. I like to theme cheese selections so that they have a coherence, a goal, and most of all, a flow.

This year for Thanksgiving, I decided to go with three different local cheeses crafted with my favorite milk base -- goat's milk. Each cheese will broaden your expectations of what goat milk cheeses can be and I guarantee delight the senses. They are three of my favorite local cheeses that I think showcase the booming success of North Eastern cheese production.

So what will be having with our salad course after my mother's delish vegetarian meal?

Just a brief note about each as I don't want to reveal too much before the meal...

Cheese Number # 1 : Ardith Mae's Doolan - Crafted in rural Pennsylvania, this American artisanal cheese is a take on the classic Loire Valley Crottin's that we all know and love. Firm paste with a citrusy milky lactic tang.

Cheese Number # 2 : Consider Bardwell's Manchester - Crafted in West Pawlet, Vermont, this raw goat's milk tomme is funky and fantastic.

Cheese Number # 3 : Lively Run's Cayuga Blue - Hailing from the Finger Lakes region, this is one of very few local goat's milk blue cheeses -- stinky and exciting, yet not too overwhelming that it will frighten away the amateur blue cheese lover.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive