Saturday, September 18, 2010

Day Two Hundred and Twenty One - A Cheese to Break a Fast

As many of you may know today is Yom Kippur or the Day of Atonement, one of the holiest days of the Jewish calendar. That being said without getting too much into the topic of religion, I tend to consider myself a spiritual person, not an organized religion sort of type. I do believe in the fasting portion to cleanse and atone for one's sins, I think it is a nice way to renew oneself and rediscover one's center.

At the end of the day, many people get together for break fast gatherings -- a time to celebrate and enjoy!

So for today's post, I thought I would reveal to you all one of the cheeses I got for the break fast gathering I will be attending, keeping the other in secret as the event hasn't happened yet and that would ruin the element of surprise.

When thinking about what sorts of cheeses to procure for the break fast I had a few goals in mind when choosing cheeses:

1. At least one of the cheeses should be somewhat decadent in honor of the fact that many people won't have eaten for the previous day.
2. I wanted to keep to European cheeses, there was something about sticking to the old world cheese making methods that just felt right to me when choosing today's cheeses.
3. They needed to be easily sharable cheeses, ideally those in nice sizable rounds.

So what is one of the cheeses I chose?

Brunet!

This soft ripened pasteurized goat's milk cheese hails from the Piedmont region of Italy. Upon observation, one can immediately recognize that this baby is influenced by the French Loire Valley great goat cheeses. Shaped in a small cake style round, it has an unctuous and pasty interior with a bright citrusy lushness on the exterior. Notes of grass, straw, and freshly baked bread perfume this fantastically creamy Italian goddess of a cheese. Perfect for a break fast celebration if you ask me, a nice glass of something bubbly would be great with this cheese. Even a nice Lambrusco as an idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive