Thursday, September 2, 2010

Day Two Hundred and Five - Running and Nutrition

If you're like me and enjoy running marathons, you are guaranteed to find a large amount of literature on how and what you should eat while training, pre-race, post-race. Let me let you in on a little secret, you've gotta do what's best for you -- that perfect balance of veggies, fruits, dairy, proteins, carbs and so on is tailor made to each and every person.

My own personal philosophy when it comes to this entire topic when training is that you are only as good as the worst thing that you've put into your body. On those mornings when I've had an extra glass of wine or something, I certainly feel it while running...You aren't going to get the most out of that ten mile training run if you went out boozing the night before and had a few beers and a plate full of chicken wings...

So why am I getting all nutritional on you folks? Because I thought I'd share the tuna salad recipe I made for myself after doing a 20 mile training run this morning. Not that you have to eat it after doing a long run, but that it is simple, easy, delish, and nutritious.

Don't ask me why, but I truly love having a homemade tuna salad after a long run, I feel that it replenishes me with protein, veggies, dairy, and carbs.

So what's in this salad?

One can tuna in Water
A small handful of arugula
One stick of celery diced finely
One Persian cucumber diced finely
1/4 red onion diced finely
1/4 yellow pepper diced
5 baby carrots diced
2 tablespoons fresh ricotta, today I used Tonjes Farm's. Tonjes is based in Callicoon, NY and makes three farmstead aged cow's milk cheeses along with fresh ricotta, fromage blanc, mozzarella and yogurt.
1 teaspoon Maille Dijon mustard
Handful of basil leaves
Drizzle of olive oil
A few drops of balsamic vinegar
Salt
Pepper
Red Pepper Flakes
Oregano

Mix this all together. 

I just love it! It's creamy, but not heavy like tuna salad with mayo. Packed full of veggies, protein, and some dairy, it hits the spot! Today I put it on two pieces of San Francisco sourdough bread from Gourmet Garage. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive