Sunday, August 1, 2010

Day One Seventy Two - A Fruity fruity fruit weekend

Oops, seems I'm playing a little game of catchup here...busy weekends out of town tend to lead to multiple musings of mine over the course of one day. Today is an exciting day in the world of Fromagical, it is the first day that I am writing to you all from my iPhone, excellent for on the go blogging. Unfortunately, no one has developed an application dedicated to blogging with Blogspot software yet. That is not to say that there aren't any blogging apps, just none dedicated to the hosting site that I use.

While running this morning I got to thinking about what to write about and I decided that I haven't focused at all on melon and cheese pairings and as cantalope and it's siblings are in season now -- farmers markets are full of them big & small, I thought why not. Melon and prosciutto are a classic Italian antipasti dish so why couldn't we pair cheese with nice thin slices of melon instead of the prosciutto?

No reason!!!!

For today's recipe, we will be making almost like sushi rolls, excellent for appetizers if you are having friends over for a nice summer garden party.

If you were to pairing melon with just cheese, I'd pair it with a nice medium bodied, somewhat piquant blue cheese with a nice dosage of salt to offset the juicy sweetness of the melon.

But since that is not the case, I'm gonna go a different route here that will be unique, refreshing and delish. I'd go with a Fourme D'Ambert or a Bleu D'Auvergne.

Start with slicing a few slices of melon paper thin. Put this to the side. Next up, slice up some Persian cucumbers just as paper thin as the melon. Then grab some of Lynnhaven Creamery's fresh chevre, if you don't have Lynnhaven's available, any fresh chevre would work. Dice up some dill to combine with the chevre and some extra virgin olive oil and sea salt. Mix all together. To make this into a little roll, make little canelles with the cheese then wrap the melon and cucumber around them. Each roll should then be topped with one steamed fava bean and a sprig of fresh chive. I think you will find this unique combination to bring together sweetness with savory, juicy fruity flavors with the salty creaminess of the cheese with a nice vegetal component and a green herbaciousness. Most of all, I think you will find our little melon roll ups to be refreshing, flavorful and the perfect amuse bouche for a hot day. Great with a glass of rose!

Enjoy folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive