Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Day One Fifty Five - Energy, Fuel, and Holes

After you work out, what do you want to eat? Are you the sort that goes directly for the processed energy bar? A bagel? Eggs? Juice? Protein? You name it, everyone has their own routine. I always think it is so fascinating to think about what sort of food ones body craves after a long workout or stressful day...is it something comforting? I think that the meal you choose certainly says a lot about you and your habits, interesting to stop and watch what those are, in case you aren't keenly aware.

As I'm just beginning to train for the ING NYC marathon, I thought I'd fill you all in on that breakfast that is nutritious, invigorating, satisfying and delish and exactly what I want after a long run in the rain...

It starts with a nice toasted piece of mutligrain bread, I like to have a little bit of carbs after running to refuel. While that bread is toasting, I like to throw two egg whites for protein in pan. Today, I topped those egg  whites with some of last night's zucchini, a few chopped mushrooms, a little bit of pearl onion, some fresh diced basil, crushed red pepper, black pepper and some shaved Emmental cheese. I cook the eggs, veggies, and cheese into a small omelette and then place this on top of my mutligrain toast and eat with a nice big mug of coffee. It is the perfect mixture of veggies, eggs, cheese, and herbs -- this omelette will replenish my system after a long run, never too heavy but extremely satisfying!  It is surely the sort of meal that gives my batteries more energy to keep going.

To finish off today's post, I thought I'd give you all a little educational lesson on where the holes in Emmental cheese come from --
 
Emmental in case you aren't familiar is a hard cow's milk cheese produced traditionally in Switzerland. The cheese is a member of the Swiss cheese family and like other members of this group has holes produced by one of three bacteria utilized to produce the cheese. This particular bacteria is known as propionibacterium freudenreichii and is actually what triggers the sweet nutty flavors in the cheese. In the later stages  of maturation of this cheese, the previously mentioned bacteria will consume the lactic acid released  by the two other forms of bacteria (Streptococcus thermophilus and lactobacillus)  utilized in the production of this cheese and in turn produce carbon dioxide which will create the holes in our beloved Emmental. Interesting right?

Well next time you pick up a piece of cheese with holes in it, just think about the energy that went into the creation of those holes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive