Sunday, June 6, 2010

Day One Hundred and Seventeen : A dressed up cheese

I hate  to admit it, but back in the day,  I adored Sex and the City, that is when it was a TV show -- quintessentially New York, fantastic fashions, fabulously sexy story lines, and most of all, every so often, a line or two that you women out there might to be able to relate to...Now I feel though that I'd be frowned upon for going to see the new Sex and the City movie, which I did do, despite the awful reviews. I know your next question is, were they right?

Well yes pretty much, not so great acting, bad dialog, bad punchlines, unfortunately not so fantastic fashions, somewhat insulting to the United Arab Emirates where a large portion of the movie is supposed to take place (yes it was filmed in Morocco...); however totally banal yet somewhat fun. One thing I will say for the movie is it takes you out of real life and transports you into a fantasy world of $22,000 a night suites, personal butlers, black diamonds, free flowing Champagne, Manolos, Dior and more.....

In thinking about the movie's excesses, I thought I would propose a cheese that sums up those excesses into one aha moment...I know I've spoken about cheeses infused with truffles which was my first thought, then cheeses that are only produced at particular times of year and then I realized, in my own personal aha moment, that no, it had to be a cheese that signified the luxurious bent, that sort of feeling of not thinking twice or worrying about the cost of consumption and that cheese, really tough to find, in my opinion is the Italian cheese, Bitto. Originating from the Italian Alps, this mixed cow's and goat's milk cheese is special production to the hilt. Each of the goats whose milk is utilized for this cheese is hand milked, requiring way more time and "hand power." On top of which, the breed of goats utilized is exceptionally rare and tends to only live in this particular region of the Italian Alps.

The production process of the cheese takes the entire summer and more -- from June 1st till the end of September....without getting into the intricacies of each detail of the process, I can tell you that the cow's milk is immediately combined to the goat's milk while still warm -- an important aspect of this cheese's production. Also important to production are the ages old wooden tools utilized to make this cheese.

Once  made, this cheese because of its particular makeup can actually be aged for up to ten years, can you believe that? Most cheeses that you can find easily aren't ever aged for over three, so imagine more than tripling that!!!!! This is a cheese that needs at least one year of age in a casera, a rural hut not far from the pastures and then more time in cheese caves.

Quite the intense production for one cheese right?? Well, now, what do you think the per pound price tag is on this cheese?!?

$55 and up!

A pair of Manolos it is not, but an expensive and luxurious experience it certainly is. If you happen to come across this cheese and you must try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive