Saturday, May 22, 2010

Day One hundred and three : Colicchio & Sons Brunch

One of my favorite parts of the weekend is the custom of brunch - a great way to spend a Saturday or Sunday morning / afternoon. Although I had previously eaten at Colicchio and Sons Tap Room for dinner, I had yet to experience their brunch, so on this lovely Saturday afternoon, I sat down in the sun-filled tap room area of Colicchio and Sons to give their brunch a go.

A nice menu, not too overwhelming with too many options, just around a dozen, a good variety of egg dishes, a burger, a pain perdu -- successful twists on the typical brunch items. Their service definitely however could have used an extra cup of coffee, a little slow on the uptake.

I had one of their three dishes that had cheese in it -- the frittata. I ordered it with egg whites, instead of normal eggs, I like the lightness and taste better of simply egg whites, and well they are better for you, less cholesterol! The frittata was made with spring green vegetables, ricotta, truffle honey, and topped with arugula. Sound a little like the recipes I suggest here? Yes, right? Certainly tailor made to my sensibilities. It sure was delish, with a nice sweet finish due to the truffle honey. What I did like, was that the frittata was "normal" sized, not overwhelming large that you feel if you eat all of it, you will be full for the day like some previous brunch experiences of mine. This was just the right mix of filling, satisfying, light, and springy. I won't be able to critique either of my dining companions' meals because both contained meat, but to give you a better sense of the menu, I will at least tell you what they had -- one had the tap room burger with balsamic onions and pecorino accompanied with homemade potato chips and pickles and the other had a Carolina rice johnny cake with duck confit, poached eggs and red eye gravy. The meal was finished off with the one dessert on their menu, homemade strawberry filled doughnuts.

A very nice and enjoyable brunch, nothing overly fussy but good food. I think I preferred their dinner menu, however I would totally return for another Saturday or Sunday brunch. It is such a great space to sit and grab a bite and a drink and enjoy watching the world go by on 10th avenue.

Have a good Saturday evening folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive