Sunday, April 4, 2010

Day Fifty - Six : Easter, Eggs, and more...

Happy Easter Folks! Certainly a glorious day for parades, bonnets, pastels, and plenty of time outside! Although I don't celebrate Easter I have always enjoyed watching the families who do, it really seems like the first proper day when people come pouring out of their apartments rejoicing over the fact that winter is reaching its end. It sure was a day to enjoy the weather, savor the sunshine, and certainly be outside for as much time as you could.

Today, on this lovely Easter Sunday, I met an old friend for brunch down on the Lower East Side. I'm sorry to disappoint ladies and gents my wallet did not allow for a decadent brunch, chock full of descriptions of dishes that make your mouth water; but more of a good standby place that we knew we could have a satisfying meal and not feel like it was overpriced. Don't get me going on all these places around town that serve somewhat mediocre food that is tremendously expensive for no reason...back to our Easter Sunday brunch on a quiet corner of Orchard street at noon today, we sat down to a small French bistro. In the evening hours this area and even the particular place we were eating at, would have been jam packed, but we lucked out! It was noon and the neighborhood was quiet.

So I'm sure you're thinking enough of the neighborhood and all, what did she eat?!?!?!

Well ladies and gents, let me let you in on a little secret, I love smoked salmon and rarely do I let myself buy it for my apartment, partially because its expensive but partially because if you don't eat smoked salmon within a few days of purchasing it, it will go bad. Needless to say when I go out to brunch, I always like to order something with smoked salmon, if possible. So today, I ordered an egg white omelet with goat's cheese and smoked salmon with a side salad -- the breakfast version somewhat of the linner dish I made for you all yesterday.  What I like about this simple dish is how all the flavors meld so successfully together -- the creamyness of the goat cheese holds up perfectly to the consistency of the eggs and the savory saltiness of the salmon was just the perfect oomph to top off all the flavors perfectly. A nice satisfying meal for a beautiful Sunday! I know it might not be an overly exciting discussion topic for our purposes here but it is an excellent example of how you can really successfully pair cheese and fish, they need to have a stable backdrop that pairs well with a variety of flavors. (More on other options in future musings...)

I think I will leave you all to enjoy your evenings, I hope you too got to enjoy the outdoors and had your fill of eggs, whether they were the chocolate kind or the breakfast / brunch kind...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive