Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Day Twenty - Five : Cacio Carciofi

Guess what guys, the week is half over? Who is excited? Me!! I am looking forward to the weekend that's for sure!

So I thought for today's recipe, I would take inspiration from the restaurant that I went to for lunch -- Maialino, Danny Meyer's new Roman trattoria in the Gramercy Park Hotel. I went with a client and we split three dishes: their cacio e pepe pasta (all of their pastas are homemade and amazingly delish!!); their carciofini fritti; and a selection of three of their cheeses and definitely a bunch of their homemade breads with olive oil. With all of this mid-day decadence, we each had one glass of Pinot Nero, a light Italian red wine..

In the spirit of Rome, Roman food, and Maialino, I thought I would give you all my quick simple recipe for carciofi...ever since I went to Rome for Christmas, years back when I was in graduate school, I fell in love with carciofi and specifically the roman preparation, somehow making the artichokes to die for!
I am certainly not saying that my simple recipe will even come close to the delish carciofi you can get in Rome, but it is what I do to substitute what I am missing. The best part about it is that it takes about three minutes of prep time and then you just let the artichokes cook without having to worry!

Grab about six proper artichokes, wash them, then cut off the bottoms and cut the remainder into as many vertical pieces as possible. Now take those pieces and place them in a pan with olive oil, garlic, and onion. Cook on top of the stove at medium heat for about ten minutes while you let your oven warm up to 350. Now place this dish in the oven, I like to add a few diced tomatoes here so that their juices combined with the herbs create a nice provencal dimension to the dish. Now top the entire dish with two year aged parmesan along with a little bit of grated young manchego, adding a nutty, olivey, gooey, cheesy side to this dish. Bake all together now at 275. Pull out after twenty minutes or when the cheese is brown and it is done to the taste. Enjoy these babies on their own before a pasta dish, a nice homemade flatbread pizza, or a full portion main entree!

The great thing about this recipe is it really is taking the gem of Roman cuisine and bringing directly to . Lets hope it stays quiet and Olives and all manage to not need the support of this one event, thankfully with our partnership, you should be covered in any and all needs!

Enough about work ladies and gents, enjoy your artichokes/carciofi with a nice light pinot grigio..

Check back tomorrow for further musings, nite all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive