Sunday, March 14, 2010

Day Thirty-Six : Tri-generational celebrational!

How many people do you know who have lived through two world wars, the feminist revolution, the New Deal, the dot com boom and the aughts? I know one extraordinary and inspirational woman who has lived through all of that and more -- my grandmother. This rainy Sunday morning, we came together to celebrate her 93rd birthday.

Weeks before our brunch, my grandmother had specified exactly what it was she wanted to eat -- popovers, cheese, salad, and eggs. Simple yet celebratory.

So we all gathered around the table to enjoy my mother's delish popovers followed by two types of frittatas, one topped with sauteed and then pureed spinach and goats cheese and then with strictly with egg whites and the same topping for my mother and I. I find that frittatas are much more celebratory than other egg dishes, why I can't tell you, but maybe it's because I rarely make them and therefore find them such a treat when either I make them or others do. Following our frittata and popovers, we moved on to a mixed green salad with roasted almonds and sprouts; cheese and two types of bread. We had a toasted baguette and a whole wheat walnut raisin bread from Fairway -- my favorite combo in a bread, whole wheat, dried fruit and nuts! Yum Yum!

When choosing cheese for today's celebration, I thought specifically about catering to my grandmother's tastes -- she likes somewhat aged but yet creamy goats cheeses. So I went for:
1. An aged cana de cabra -- The Spanish equivalent of Bucheron. A little more aged than its French cousin, making it significantly less creamy, this is aged goat cheese in one of its best forms. Great with the walnut raisin bread.
2. A Goat's Milk Brie -- Goat Milk Bries are much whiter than their cow cousins and significantly lighter. I knew that this cheese might not be loved by everyone at brunch, but I thought it fit in perfectly with my grandmother's tastes -- goaty, creamy, luscious, and all around delish. If you are a big Brie lover, try a goat's milk one at somepoint, it will open up your eyes -- its still a brie, just with a different makeup.
3. Buttermilk Blue -- I got this cheese in honor of my mother since I know that she loves it. A nice medium bodied blue cheese with just enough of that blue cheese piquantness and oomph but not too much to frighten the amateur cheese eater like a Valedon. This baby is dynamic and full of flavor, a nice cheese for a glass of port.

Following our cheese course, there was my mother's pear crisp/crumble with her goaty sauce, not cream nor ice cream nor a yogurt, her own special preparation. This was a recent creation of my mother's -- goat cheese and coconut milk, it was a perfect light yet creamy sauce to top the delicately sauteed pears with cinnamon and honey topped with oats, nuts, brown sugar and dried cranberries, a delish, clean, and healthy end to the meal.

All in all, the most important  thing was that my grandmother enjoyed herself and sure did seem like she had a lovely time. At 93, she is such an inspiration to each and every person she encounters so it is always a treat to make her smile and see her having a great time. Enjoy your Sunday night ladies and gents!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive