Sunday, March 21, 2010

Day Forty - Two : Race Day

Ding, ding, ding! 4:25am, my alarm went off, signaling that it was time for me to get ready to make the trek over to RFK Stadium and the National Armory for the start of my first marathon. Was I excited? Definitely! Was I nervous? Most certainly yes! I had only ever done twenty two miles before, never 26.2 miles and I certainly had no idea how those last 4.2 miles were going to feel on my little legs.

Upon arrival at the Armory a little after 6am, I had a sufficient amount of time to use the bathroom and stretch before lining up in corals at the start. Before I knew it, I was in line, listening to the National Anthem being sung by a soldier in Iraq and then suddenly, I was off and running with thousands of other runners. I got to see the sunrise by the National Mall and the Lincoln Memorial and Monuments, passed through DC's not so savory areas, Dupont Circle and the upwardly mobile areas, office buildings, colleges, you name it, we went through it. Got to check off each of DC's quadrants as well on what is considered the fastest looped course in the nation.

The race itself for me, was outstanding till mile 19, when suddenly my hip pain came out roaring, how was I going to finish another 7.2 miles? I somehow managed to make it through the steep hills at mile 23, mile 24, and mile 25, finishing the race without stopping once to walk. I was proud of myself! This was my first marathon and although I didn't reach my goal time, I certainly had a great first race. I'm looking forward to my next race and that time around, I will know how I feel at miles 23, 24, 25, and 26!

I'm sure  you all are wondering what did I eat after? Well ladies and gents, after one of the best showers and cups of coffee of my life, I sat down to a lovely brunch with my parents, my boyfriend, and other friends and family at the historic Tabard Inn in Downtown DC. A delish spot that I had visited on a few previous occasions and the one place in DC, that I knew I loved and that would deliver reliable, homemade, unique cuisine. For this exciting meal, I had a fresh and yummy frittata with fava beans, cauliflower and goat's  cheese with a mixed green salad -- the perfect blend of veggies and protein to fuel my body after those 26.2 miles! We did have some sparkling as well to celebrate the momentous occasion.

Looking back on it, twenty four hours later, I almost want to pinch myself and say did I really do that yesterday? Did it really happen and is it really over? Wow! I had conquered one of my life goals -- to run a marathon at least once and boy was it a thrill! It is a true test of your mental and physical stamina and really teaches you a lot about who you are as a human being.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive