Friday, March 26, 2010

Day Forty - Eight : GGC GCF

I don't know about you all, but it sure has been the sort of day and week, that definitely merits a nice glass of wine or even a cocktail. Although I do not plan to go out to the local pub for a few rounds of drinks, I imagined I was to gain inspiration for today's GCF.

Confession, in case you couldn't gather from my musings over the past days and weeks, I am not a big fan of fried foods and when you get hungry at your local pub, that tends to be what is available. My go-to snack in those situations is chips with salsa and guacamole, good for sharing. How can you go wrong there? As long as the chips aren't overly fried and greasy, it's a pretty safe, healthy-ish bet and it will give you something to absorb the alcohol that you are imbibing.

I thought for today's GCF, I would play off of my love for chips, salsa, and guacamole when I'm out having a drink and do a very simple but totally delish, GGC GCF, otherwise known as a guacamole grilled cheese. This is a dish that I think would probably be very successful on that local pub menu, intermingled with your requisite wings, quesadillas, burgers and the such, but the difference here is that this sandwich is pretty good for you!

So lets get going guys!

First step here is to start with the guacamole, I find that everyone has their own way of making guacamole, so go ahead and make your go-to recipe. In case you don't have one, here is mine:

I large avocado, depitted and chopped up
1/2 red onion chopped finely
1/2 shallot chopped finely
1/2 garlic clove chopped finely
A few sprigs of cilantro
Lime Juice
I like to use a green cactus hot sauce I have from a recent trip to Austin, TX to add some punch, but you can use anything you want or nothing at all, depends on whether you like spiceyness or not.
Sea salt

Blend together till the mixture is chunky, not too liquidy and now you have your guacamole. I like to make this sandwich on nice crusty slices of a loaf of Grandaisy's Pullman bread, it will hold up to the guacamole beautifully. So slather on a decent amount of the guacamole onto one side of the Pullman, no butter or anything underneath, top with a few sprigs of cilantro. Then next up comes the cheese, for this sandwich I like to use an easy melting Alpine style cheese. For our purposes here, I would not necessarily go with some nutty like a Comte but more with something like an Appenzeller, a young raw cow's milk cheese from Switzerland perfect for all of your melting purposes. Top your guacamole with some nice pieces of Appenzeller then I like to add a few leaves of basil as well and heat.

You're now ready to eat your GGC GCF! Mexico meets America meets Switzerland all rolled into one sandwich. Enjoy with your favorite beverage and have a great night ladies and gents!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive