Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Day Five - A Blizzard and a few of my favorite things...

New Yorkers tend to overreact when snow is predicted, the city that never sleeps, shuts down! I just don't get it, as long as you can still get around, there's no reason to have your whole life grind to a halt. Yes, it might disrupt your normal plans, but oh well, right? You have to just grin and bear it!

So today, we were supposed to receive between a foot and a foot and a half of snow and due to this prediction, I was the only one who actually made it to the office today. After a very busy and somewhat shorter day at the office and some errands, I came home to my warm cozy apartment, boyfriend, and my dog...what a nice treat! It was certainly the sort of day that one wanted to spend watching movies and lying under covers and drinking mulled cider. At least since my day was shorter than normal, I got to have a nice relaxing afternoon, it almost felt like it was a Friday night!

On the note of a movie marathon sort of day, my mind drifted to Julie Andrews, "The Sound of Music," and the song, "A few of my favorite things" so I thought, why not give you all a recipes for my version of a tuna melt with a few of MY favorite things. With all of my running that I have been doing,  I have been having to find new ways to get protein and I find canned tuna to be an excellent and low cost source of protein  -- it is easy, simple, and easily maleable.

Today's recipe is certainly different than your typical american cheese, mayo tuna salad, white bread and maybe a tomato and a piece of iceburg lettuce, but in my mind, the sandwich instills within its eater, the same sort of comfort feel. However, it is definitely a lower fat, fresher, and healthier option! It is kind of somewhere between a nicoise salad and a tuna melt with my own special twist!

Lets start with my version of the tuna salad, simple, light, and delish! Mix one can of tuna with a splash of mustard, ricotta, olive oil, some shallots, pepper, salt, some rosemary, oregano, thyme, and marjoram. Now you have the tuna component ready to go!

Next lets discuss what we will substitute for the tomato wedge and iceburg lettuce leaf, I love sundried tomatoes, so lets take three nice sundrieds that have been soaked in olive oil. Drain a little of the olive oil, so they aren't dripping with oil but still have the flavor. Also add to the sandwich some nice arugula then I'd add some nicoise black olives, obviously de-pitted.

Now you are set with the tuna and the filling. I recommend that you utilize the Brioche from Bouchon Bakery or Fairway's Brioche. Brioche is a delish French enriched bread with a high egg and butter concentration which makes the bread the best treat -- flaky, golden, delish, and it melts in your mouth!

In terms of the cheese, I think in keeping with the tuna melt, American comfort food theme, you don't necessarily need to go too fancy with the cheese, especially because you are going somewhat fancy with the bread, it is kind of nice to keep it simple in the cheese realm. I have recently gotten somewhat into yogurt cheese, it is lower fat than most regular cheeses but has such a nice consistency when melted. I recommend the sundried tomato herb yogurt cheese for this sandwich....

Now, take two slices of the brioche, top one with some of the cheese, then the olives, lettuce, sundried tomatoes, and the tuna salad mixture. Toast until golden brown!

Take the sandwich out and serve with a nice cold beer. I'd have a simple, clean beer, maybe a Kronenburg...it will play of the sandwich's distinctly French flavors..

I have a little voice spouting funny one liners right in my ear, meaning that it has taken me too long to write this post, so check back for longer musings tomorrow and let me leave you with the last one liner that was said to me, "The Quest for Tom Tomme..."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive