Sunday, February 14, 2010

Day Eight - Green Eggs and Ham? Is that how you take your eggs? No thank you, Dr. Seuss...

Don't you hate when you have expectations for how something and they aren't met...yes it is a let down typically, not always a bad thing in the long run, but is a let down at first.  Oh well, you have to take a deep breath and say, all is well, the way things turned out ain't so bad after all!

This morning, being that it was Valentine's Day, I thought after my run, I would make my boyfriend a nice breakfast in bed....that's where thing started going down hill...The menu was simple, his favorite muffins, lemon poppy, scrambled eggs just the way he likes them, bacon, and a celebratory bottle of Asti. (In case you aren't familiar with Asti, it is a white Italian sparkling sweet wine produced to the south of the town of Asti in the Piedmont region of Italy.)

Instead of going into what happened with the muffins, lets just put it this way, after twenty minutes in the oven, which is less than the normal amount of time I bake them, I pulled  them out and they were overcooked, just a little too brown for most people's liking. Good thing I like somewhat burned things...but with the muffins, there went the completed and nice breakfast....

Thankfully, I managed to salvage the eggs and bacon portion. My boyfriend likes three eggs scrambled with cheese, today it was a nice grated parmesan, herbs, salt, and a touch of truffle oil...At least that coupled with the bacon and the Asti were a hit...

But have you ever thought that the way someone prefers their eggs, tends  to tell you about them or at least illuminates what their taste profile preferences are? I think it was the movie, "Runway Bride," with Julia Roberts and Richard Gere, were Gere was able to notice how Roberts adapted to each husband, by making their egg preference hers  as well..

Think about it...whats your preferred way to eat eggs? Is it hardboiled with salt? Poached with hollandaise sauce on english muffins? Scrambled with veggies, cheese, smoked salmon or  meat added? As an omelette? In a sandwich? The healthy, egg white route?? As a frittata? Sunny side up? There are endless possibilities!

In the winter time, my favorite morning egg combination is scrambled egg whites with crumbled herb goat's cheese, like one of those fresh goat logs,  two chopped up mushrooms, some sundried tomatoes, lots of red pepper flakes, herbs, and pepper...When it gets warmer, I like a variety of swiss cheese like an appenzeller or an emmenthal or a nice aged gruyere with broccoli, basil, and edamame..Granted I like a variety of other options too! But the quintessentail elements for me are egg whites and a  cheese. I think certain cheeses are better than others to combine with eggs in the morning, but the key in mind, is to not necessarily use an expensive or really nuanced and delicate cheese, cooking that cheese with eggs and other food products, will make that cheese stick out a little less....therefore I recommend a goat's cheese log, a yogurt cheese, one of the hard cheeses I mnetioned earlier, or well whatever floats your boat. I actually think danish blue can be nice with some sauteed mushrooms and egg whites over multigrain toast, granted not every day though!

So think about it, how do you take your eggs? What do you think it reveals about you?

Enjoy your Sunday evening guys! Oh and Happy Valentine's!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive