Sunday, May 6, 2012

Day 812 : New Cheese Discovery at the New Amsterdam Market

Today I ventured for the first time this season to the New Amsterdam Market down near the South Street Seaport. The New Amsterdam Market is inspired by the Public Market concept -- a very prevalent institution in the New York of yesteryear geared towards bringing people together over the shared love and necessity for food. New Amsterdam has worked to bring back the tradition of supporting your local small purveyors who source and craft regional produce and make it available for purchase in the confines of the New Amsterdam Market's stalls. It's all about getting to know your butchers, bakers, cheesemakers, vegetable growers and more -- the people that produce the food we eat on a daily basis.

Today's market was teaming with local purveyors selling their produce -- coffee, sweets, cheeses, breads, meats, vegetables, ciders, and more. What did I discover you might be wondering?



The most exciting discovery today was Painted Goat Farm's new cheese -- Everything Bagel infused firm goat's milk cheese. Yes you heard me correctly, this is a young firm goat's milk cheese that has been rubbed in the same spice mixture that coats your traditional everything bagel. You've got the young fresh tang of the goat's milk cheese with the classic flavor profile of the spices that create the everything bagel we all know and love. What a simple but innovative concept! Definitely blew me away!

Overall I know no matter when I go to the New Amsterdam Market, I will find something fabulous, new and local and this time I surely wasn't disappointed. I look forward to my next trip and my next discovery! 

New Amsterdam Market
Located @ the site of the Old Fulton Fish Market (South Street between Beekman & Peck Slip)
11am - 4pm Sundays




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive